Sunday, August 3, 2008

Returning from the theatre conference

The Association for Theatre in Higher Education conference was excellent. While it seemed to be one day too long (I had to attend my friends' panel on Thursday and stay for my second presentation Sunday) and I didn't d everything I thought I might (spa massage or visit the fitness center), I did hear some very interesting things at most of the sessions I attended. My two sessions went very well, especially the one featuring The Bacchae--partially because the only likely candidate to tell me that virtual theatre isn't really theatre left before I started. (By the way, teaching also can only take place if the student and teacher are in the same room at the same time. Synchronous video conferencing? Nope! Not teaching!)

I received some great suggestions for an acting class project using new media, and some ideas on how to use facebook in production, to link all of the actors and crew in one place. While we may not be doing an online digital theatre journal anytime soon, it occurs to me that creating a wiki for discussions toward next year's conference might work well. I also want to look at using google as a place for all of our RL theatre archives (photos, videos, blogs, etc.) The only question is, how many blogs, facebook groups/events, and wikis can I juggle?

Meanwhile, getting some Mexican food at a restaurant, I started notes for a short one act play. I am thinking SL debut.

I can ponder these ideas further here in the Denver Airport, where WIFI is free and I still have 2.5 hours before my plane is to depart...

No comments: